Sunday 19 December 2010

Plan: Lets start the year as we mean to go on with The South Downs Way

On the Bank Holiday Monday on the 3rd of January, myself and a small group of riders are planning to ride the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne. This route across the South Downs is a nice and round 100miles. It's very up and down. Hopefully I will be riding with some people who have ridden it before. I'm using it as a recce to find out what the route is like for a possible South Downs Double attempt in the Spring. Sunrise on the the 3rd is about 08:03 and Sunset at around 16:07 so we will be riding in the dark for a few hours regardless of our speed. Fingers crossed the ground will be hard as it will take a bit longer if it's wet and muddy.
http://www.bikedowns.co.uk/ See http://www.southdownsdouble.net/ for info on the South Downs Double.
All started in 2005 (well way before) when a chap called Ian Butler rode from Winchester to Eastbourne and back in less than 24hrs. From then the Double has been attempted quite a few times with the fastest time well below 24hrs at 18:03:12s by Ian Leitch. Who will be the 1st rider under 18hrs? It certainly wont be me on my 1st attempt if I do it in the spring.
The furthest I have done on a MTB so far is 110km of the Brecon Beast. I didn't find that too hard but far too much of that was on road. From what I understand the South Downs Way is pretty much off road the whole way. I have done 100km loads of times now
Rob Lee riding the Double in 2008 (c) Rory Hitchens 2008
It's easy enough to get the miles or hours in on the road bike. I've been doing plenty of 4hr + rides after work on a Tuesday and Thursday but I need to get some really long rides in on the MTB if I'm to prepare my body for a 24hr MTB race. Riding on the road, your arms and torso are pretty relaxed, they don't get too much of a work out. On the MTB over rough terrain pretty much everything gets a working over. I get a longish ride in on a Sunday on the MTB but can only really spare 5hrs and can really feel the difference.
I'm really looking forward to riding across the Downs. I will try and get down to Eastbourne sometime in Feb to recce it the other way. I know the is the same but he it's got the up hills where the down hills are. I need to make sure I know where all the taps are so I can fill up my water bottles.
Between now and then I have a few big rides planned. The Thursday before Christmas I plan to go exploring behind Cwmcarn. I've been up there so many times but not really explored the place. Should be good for a 6hr ride I think and Christmas Eve I plan to get out for a Nice 4hr ride over Machen Mountain finishing with a lap or two of the Twrch Trail. This will be a hill fest

3 comments:

  1. I think this snow is going to have to go first

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things don't always go as planned. Can't ride the South Downs Way on Bank Holiday Monday but I sure as Hell will do it in January.

    ReplyDelete