Tuesday 13 March 2012

Crap Start to the Racing Season

After a bit of a delay to the start of my season (after missing a few early races) I planned to kick off 2012 with the local Wentwood 50 Enduro. It's only 10 miles from my house in Wales and it's quite hilly so it's a no brainer. I did it last year and this was my very 1st ride on a bike after recovering from the bout of Swine Flu I had.
I rode over and gave myself an hour to get there so I could ride over taking it easy. It took me lest than 40 mins to get over there unfortunately so I ended up standing around waiting for the start.
Fitting my GoPro to the handle bars seemed like a boring option so just before the start I moved it down on to the front hub QR with a cool little tube like attachment from KCNC.
The horn went and we shot off up the 5km road climb. I started just behind the two O'boyle brothers from the Torq Team. Anthony O'boyle and Simon Smith shot off up the climb with purpose and got a good gap. I thought it was best to hold back a bit and stick with Sion O'boyle and the two riders from Clee Cycles. I got gapped by a few riders so I decided to gun it a bit and try and catch up on the flat/draggy bit. My legs felt really good and I was confident of catching them all ahead of me. I came round a corner which dropped down a bit and then went left. The corner was wet and muddy and I don't know what happened as it happened so quick (according to the guys watching I grabbed a bit too much of both brakes) I slammed over onto my right side. sliding down the wet tarmac shreading my kit. I got up fine but realise I was a bit hurt. My leg felt really numb and my bike was trashed. I was bleeding a lot and clearly had some bad road rash on my thigh, bottom, knee, shoulder and forearm. Just after I came down the rider who had been on my wheel hit my bike and got sent over the bars (Poor Sod bloody glad he was OK).

I will edit the full video ASAP. Some of it is funny with my miserable mutterings

My bike looked OK but when I twisted the bars back. (I had to undo the brakes to do this) I realised the gear hanger was bent bad. So I got the gears working fine and headed off. I headed off down the grass banking to find my front rotor was bent bad and my front brake was totalled. It takes a lot to piss me off and at this time I was just happy not to have broken anything bad like a bone or the frame. As I was fixing my bike a few more riders came down where I had. They were in better shape than me though as I'd probably been going twice as fast.

Might need a new jersey
By the time I got going again I guess I was towards the back of the 400 strong field. According to my Garmin stats I was faffing about for 9mins. I was now amongst a lot of riders who know were no slower than I was due to my front brake rubbing and the dead leg. I was hard work going through the muddy sections. It was easier for me to ride but at times I couldn't as I just couldn't stay on the bike. I was in constant pain. It's not the 1st time I have fallen off badly. Out in Majorca a few years ago I crashed on a wet corner whilst riding a bit too quick and broke my collar bone. I managed to ride a further 90 miles broken but if I am honest this was a lot harder. I wasn't on the road and my front rotor rubbing was just making it worse.

Pics on Flickr more

I soldiered on appearing to be cheerful but inside I was somewhat pissed off. Nothing was inspiring me to ride. the course was really nice but the muddy sections got me down and anything technical was just impossible with no front brake and a leg that didn't want to know. I was fine on the fire track passing riders as I'd expect to. They must have though what the hell happened to this guy. In all I found it very tough and when I got to the feed station at about 22km I though enough was enough and I'd opt for the 25km option over the full 50km. I heard whilst at the feed that Sion O'boyle had just gone through to the road descent. As I was riding down Simon Smith in 2nd passed me. I though about trying to stay with him for a sec until I remembered I had no front brake or legs. I plodded on down to the finish to collect my bag and the 10 mile ride home.
The ride home was bloody awful. I'd long lost the will to pedal and just couldn't be bothered. Basically I should have just waited for all the riders to complete the 1st road climb and then just ridden home. I'm a battler through. I don't give up easy but sometimes it's better to cut your losses and just quit.
I got home and my 5 year old daughter greeted me at the door. She took one look at me and shock her head. "So you didn't win then?"

http://app.strava.com/rides/5108402

(My new club kit is not due in from Giordana until the end of April so I will some how have to fix this jersey pictured above. A nice shoulder patch is required I think. Maybe I will get one of those Iron on patches I dunno Star Wars or Transformers. Something daft for sure. I still have my skinsuit but that's really not much use in a 24hr race. I need pockets)

No comments:

Post a Comment