Thursday 21 April 2011

1st, 2nd & 3rd in the Chipper

It's been a while since I raced at Hillingdon with a bunch of team mates Ralph and Ben were racing from my club. Being all third cats we decided to enter the 3/4 race. We had a little team talk and discussed tactics. Lets make sure we get someone or at least two of us in the break.
Not holding back at all we were a quarter of a lap into the race when I attacked off the front for the 1st time. Half a lap later I was reeled in so Either Ben or Ralph attacked. This went on quite a few times until Ben and Ralph were away with a lad called Gareth Thomas from Kingston Wheelers. The reaction of the rest of the riders was little slow. A few tried to jump across but failed. I sat behind a few of these fro a free ride but they all sat up. After waht I thought were bigger efforts from the stronger riders I thought they had had their chance and blown it. If I go now they will be not quite recovered.
Me still in the bunch with the trio up the road
A quick little sprint with a little look back to make sure I was alone and I was away. About 3/4 of a lap later I was in the break. A quick rest then straight to the front for my turn. We worked well together as a quartet. We put in a good effort and managed to get about half a lap on the bunch. We were suprised that the bell came so early for a lap to go but it happened to be at about 41 mins. They wanted us to finish early as there had been a nasty crash in the other race.
Nobody was as suprised I guess than Gareth from Kingston Wheelers. Unfortunalty for him he just happened to be on the front when we got the bell. Just where we wanted him. Coming over the top of the little Climb Ben attacked and we left Gareth on the front the chase if he wanted to. On the final bend Ralph jumped away and I followed. We soon left Gareth behind and we over took Ben. I closed on Ralph quite well but as I drew alongside him he kicked again and beat me by about a wheel or maybe more. 1-2-3. It couldn't have panned out better. Tactically and physically we shafted them.

London Cycle Sport Report
Just getting up to the group
Ben driving us forward
Not the best time for Gareth to hear the bell
 



Beaten by my team mate Ralph 'Magnus' deKaner 1-2-3 with Ben Moores in third











1 comment:

  1. Nice write-up. A 123 is a cracking result too!

    ReplyDelete