Saturday 13 November 2010

So what's the plan for 2011

For starters I have to finish off 2010 with a good solid base of training miles in my legs. I've never raced over 6hrs before so it's important to get the miles in. Just after Christmas I have a 4hr Enduro planned. Will be good to race the end of the year with a bit of Christmas spirit. 
A trip up to Newcastleton on the Scottish border might be on the cards in January to recce the area used for my main targets of the year which are the 24hrs of Exposure and the Mondane Kielder 100. That should be a good weekends training and some cold camping. 
24hrs of Exposure, this the British 24hrs solo champs. I was told this is the best one to do as your first solo 24hr as it has a Rookie category and you get very good support. The entry fee is pretty high but you get looked after in this race rather than being left to your own devices (I hope I haven't got that bit wrong). It's a solo only race so there will  It's all the way up north on the border between England and Scotland in a place called Newcastleton. Looks a great place to spend a few days. I've no idea right now what I'm going to have to do to get myself round this course for 24hrs either mentally or physically. I should hope to have sorted that out in the next six months. 
The long climb on the final lap at Mayhem
Next on the plan is the OS Mountain Mayhem. Not sure if I should ride it solo or as part of a team. I really enjoyed it last year. I will have to make up my mind early spring as when the entry opens you have to be quick to get in this one. The course at Eastnoor Castle suits me well as it's  not very technical and I've not got the sharpest skills on the track (something I need to work on). 
The Bontrager Twentyfour12 is up next where I have already entered the 12hr event. I figured that you should keep these 24hr efforts down to just one or two a season. I'm sure it takes a lot out of you. Wiggle's Matt Page who is the current British 24hr champ says it takes a good 4-6weeks to recover from your efforts in a 24hr race. That sounds Horrific to be honest. It takes me a week to recover from a 5 day stage race on the road. 
I have a long break then from the long races until Mondane Kielder 100 which is a 100mile race that is one in one lap. It's based back up in Newcastleton up on the Scottish Boarders again. Now I know I can do this one well. I certainly will have the endurance to do this by September. You'd think so after have possibly two 24hrs and a 12hr under my belt. Hopefully I will retain some speed by racing as many shorter XC races as possible. I'm lucky I'm based in Newport, South Wales and London. Welsh Series early in the season mixed with the Gorricks and Beastway Series midweek after work on a Wednesday.
Hopefully there is no clash of dates between the Breacon Beast and the Mondane Kielder 100 or I maybe tempted to give the Manx End 2 End a crack which looks fantastic.
Sounds like a good plan at the moment. I might have to do a few road races. I still haven't won a road race and I've dropped down to a 3rd cat on the road after a big fat zero points for last season. Well it helps if you race and I only entered two races finishing neither (puncture & mechanical).
At a grand old 36 years, I'm in the Masters Category in mountain biking 30-39. I like the age group racing. I'm not sure British Cycling are keeping the age category for next season. Rumours say no. Fingers crossed it stays. For the Enduro, 12 & 24hr events its 18-39 then 40+ so it's only for the shorter XC races will it effect me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment