Monday 29 November 2010

Cwmcarn Twrch Trail then over the top of the mountain to Mynydd Maen & back

Riding up the road to the Cwmcarn Trail Centre
Sunday Morning I woke up early to get out on the MTB for 4hrs worth of  training. I open the front door at 8am and decided it was far too cold so I waited an hour and went out at 9am. I went straight up the road to Cwmcarn through Risca to get their quicker.
The road that leads up to the Cwmcarn Trail Centre was closed as it was really icy and although I've live in the area for over 30 years I had no idea there was an alternative route up there and the car park was half full already at 9:45.
Before I'd even got to the trail centre my water bottle was already starting to freeze up. I put the bottle in one of my pockets to keep it a bit warmer. I had another bottle in my bag side pocket. I didn't check that. I didn't hang about to see who was about I just set off up the trail. I was suprise how much snow was still about. lower down. Where there was no tree cover there was compacted snow and where the trees stopped the snow the trail was icy and solid. If it hadn't been so cold I'd say it would be very fast conditions if it was a used in a race. Grip was never a problem. I went up to the top and had a play on the jumps and a few trips down the XC switchback section.
Right up the top there is a gate that leads to the mountain above. I saw that at least two riders had gone up there from their tracks so I thought I would join them.
Some iced up single track lower down the trail
















More icy single track
















The bumpy fire road (smoothest I've ever ridden it)


Riding over the top of Twmbarlwm and then North over towards the OS trig point Mynydd Maen it was very cold. The snow was solid and there was a lot of ice. I had ridden up there in the Autumn with my daughter and the all the large puddles were frozen solid. Some of them were about 30ft long and I could ride over the edges of them OK. I was riding down a large rut that seems to be about 6 inches deep. I'd been riding down it for a quite a few metres when I heard some cracking. Suddenly I just dropped about a foot maybe more into the water below. I managed to stay upright and not get wet. It came as a bit of a surprise I must say. The temperature according to one of the riders at the top of the Twrch Trail was about -5. So over on Mynydd Maen with the wind chill it must have been quite a bit less.
The view from the top of the mountain was fantastic. Apart from some electricity pylons there was no sign of anything man built. I could see the Bristol Channel, England, The not so black at the time Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons the sky was that clear. To the South through West to North it was clear. From the East I could see dark clouds and feared some bad weather was coming my way so I thought it best I head back to the Cwmcarn Trail. On the way back I made my own way going over different tracks not following the two tyre tracks I had followed before. It's hard work not knowing the tracks and having them covered in snow. I met a group of three riders on their way up had a quick chat and headed back to the Twrch. Climbed over the fence at the top of the Jumps section and had a few more runs down them. On last run I met three blokes who were having issues with one of their bikes. looked like the one chap had blown his forks up. Not the nicest of rides back down for him.
On the way down the downhill part of the Twrch Trail I found it very icy. I don't think I touched the front brake once and took it very easy. when I got to the car park at the bottom I thought about going for another loop but thought better of it and headed home via the canal tow path. I certainly didn't expect to come across a fishing competition. Those guys looked cold all sat there with their Roach Pole trying to catch what exactly?

Bloody good day on the bike I say  Hopefully will get back up there on Sunday or maybe Afan Forest
Very icy single track that had no tree cover










At the Top of the Twrch Trail. Left or Right (I did it both twice)
















Just above the Twrch Trail riding over to Mynydd Maen
















OS trig point on Mynydd Maen at 459ft
















Looking North towards the Black Mountains

















The frozen canal on the way home
















A bit of a cold day for a fishing competition 

No comments:

Post a Comment